Owning an axe is rewarding and empowering. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Here are a few tips for getting started.
1. Give your axe a name. It needs one... everybody needs one.
2. Get to know your axe. Just like anything you care about, really take the time to get to know your new tool. Your axe has different parts and you should be able to identify them. Here is a quick guide to help you out: Parts of an Axe
3. Care for your axe. There are a few simple tasks you should perform to keep your axe in great working order and to keep it looking the way you'd like.
- Keep it clean and free from moisture after use, specifically the blade (or bit). Stay away from using your axe around hard surfaces or dirt filled with debris.
- After usage and before storage, keep the bit lightly oiled. Using any sort of light oil (3-in-1 Oil is a good option), apply a small amount of oil to all of the metal. After application, dry head with a cloth and cover with protective sheath. This will keep your blade from corroding.
- Sharpen it when needed. Although it takes some practice, sharpening your axe can be picked up fairly quickly. There are a few inexpensive tools you can purchase to help you with this.This video offers one example of how to sharpen your axe: How to Sharpen Your Axe
4. Be safe with your axe. Be smart, be safe and have fun.
If there is anything else you would like to learn about axes and hatchets, it can likely be found here. This a great guide to everything you wanted and don't want to know about axes. An Ax to Grind
If you have any question or concerns, feel free to contact Victor Axe + Tool any time. Replacement handles are available.
Victor Axe + Tool stands behind its products and ensures them to be free of defects in assembly and the materials used.
Disclaimer: Due to the nature of the products it manufactures, Victor Axe + Tool is not resposible for damage or injury due to the use of its products. The above policy regarding product performance does not apply to purchases that have been abused, misused, altered or worn.